Wednesday, June 3, 2015

How about Czech?

TEN POST MOŻNA PRZECZYTAĆ TAKŻE PO POLSKU

Czech has never been on the list of languages ​​that I’m interested in learning. Now it has changed, but still it is not in any way a priority. I guess I start to pick new languages to learn more reasonably than before. Although I have never completely quit thinking about Swahili, I know that it would probably be of no use for me. Yet, for pure pleasure I'm learning Arabic. As for Czech, I will have an opportunity to use it from time to time in my work.



After a two-day official stay in the town of Kuřim in northern part of the Czech Republic I came to the conclusion that we should not take for granted that the Poles and the Czechs can easily understand each other. Of course, if you speak slowly and try to use simple constructions, it’s not too difficult, but in normal conversation it’s not that simple. It happened that we had to rely on English...


The cooperation is promising; Czechs are really nice, so why not? In addition, as this it a language from the same family as Polish, learning it should not pose any major problems. The problem lies only in the lack of time. Adding another language to those I am already learning will inevitably make me to steal time dedicated to other langauges. But we'll see, maybe I will manage to do it somehow. For now, I tell myself that I may just try...


To start with, I have “Colloquial Czech” book written by James Naughton, published by Routledge. It seems to be a good textbook for beginners. At first glance the dialogues seem fairly reasonable and useful - not as those in the book for German I’m reading at the moment, where one of the first lessons describes a train travel, and travelers looking out the window comment the farmers’ work in the fields and the glistening tiles of houses’ roofs...


From the book "Colloquial Czech" I read the section about spelling and pronunciation, which for me, a Pole, should not pose any problems, as well as part of the first lesson, from which I learned how to introduce myself, how to say say where I am from etc. I have also learned to conjugate basic verbs such as to have (mít), to be (být), to do (dělat), to wait (čekat), to ask (prosit) or to see (vidět).


As it’s not a priority, I don’t focus on rapid progress. I'm not sure how long I will persevere with learning Czech. But I would like at least to do the entire "Colloquial" book.

Share:

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment