Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Canım plaja gitmek istiyor

Today I learned two useful Turkish constructions to express intentions. One of the uses the word "niyet", the other "can" which literally means "soul". These are obviously not the only ways to express willingness to do something. But as I like to enrich my vocabulary, I think writing them down with some examples may be helpful to remember them.

  • niyet - intention, aim
Bugün sinemaya gitmeye niyetim var.
- Today I have intention to go to the cinema.
Bugün sinemaya gitmeye niyetim yok.
- Today I don’t have intention to go to the cinema.
Bugün sinemaya gitmeye niyetimiz var.
-Today we have intention to do to the cinema.
Bugün sinemaya gitmeye niyetimiz yok.
-Today we don't have intention to do to the cinema.

How to build it?
- if you have an intention to do sth
verbal noun -ma/-me + helping vowel -y- + Dative -a/-e + niyet + possessive pronoun + var
- if you don't have any intention to do sth
verbal noun -ma/-me + helping vowel -y- + Dative -a/-e + niyet + possessive pronoun + yok


  • can - literally "soul"
Canım plaja gitmek istiyor.
- I want to go to the beach.

Canım plaja gitmek istemiyor.
- I don't want to go to the beach.
Canı plaja gitmek istiyor.
- He/she wants to go to the beach.
Canı plaja gitmek istemiyor.
- He/she doesn't want to go to the beach.

How to build it?
- when you want to do sth
can + posessive pronoun + verb with/without complement + istiyor (always in the third person singular)
- when you don't want to do sth
can + posessive pronoun + verb with/without complement + istiyor/istemiyor (always in the third person singular)

Share:

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment