Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A catedral do mar - book for coming weeks

Yesterday I started to read another book I have in Portuguese translation, namely "A catedral do mar", written by a Spanish writer, Ildefonso Falcones. Perhaps I should take an original version, but the truth is I bought the Portuguese translation while on a holiday in Lisbon. The most important thing is that I will read it in one of the languages I learn, and Portuguese of my favorites!
"A catedral do mar" is a historical novel, but it's not a scientific work. The action takes place in 14th century Barcelona, at the height of the Inquisition. The construction of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Mar serves here as background to the plot.

Right from the beginning the writer shows a reader that it won't be too pleasant reading. In the first chapter we witness the violence of a young girl during her wedding day. It's the right of the master, called at those times the first night's right. It lies a shadow on the whole life of Francesca and her husband, Bernat Estanyol. What the future holds for them? I don't know yet. 

However, the description on the cover of the book reads that the main character is Arnau Estanyol, a son of the fugitive serf. I guess it must be Bernat's son. We also read that he will obtain freedom and eventually achieve a high status. I suppose it will be a result of the construction of the cathedral, but it's only my supposition...

This post is available also in Portuguese

Share:

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment