Thursday, August 1, 2013

Languages - progress: July 2013

It was without a doubt the month of the Arabic! Nearly 50 hours dedicated to this language in July. The difference between the time spent on MSA and others was big but that’s how it was supposed to be. I hope I will gather fruits of these efforts soon. Generally I watched less TV programmes in “my” languages and focused on core studying.

Time spent

  • Total: 91h35
  • عربي (Arabic MSA): 47h50
  • Português: 11h00
  • Italiano: 10h35
  • Türkçe: 7h30
  • Français: 5h50
  • Hindi: 5h30
  • Deutsch: 3h20

Remarks

 عربي (Arabic MSA) 
DLI Course - lessons 20-30, reading, grammar, vocabulary, audio drills
Hangouts - practicing speaking, listening comprehension, reading and writing
In the DLI course I went through third and started fourth module. These lessons treat mainly about verbs. I suppose that at last I’ll be able to build more compound sentences.
Participation in the hangouts held on Google+ continue to be my priority for now - to practice what I learn. Thanks to the enthusiasm of the native Arabic speakers I have this great opportunity!
I also watched a bit AlJazeera in Arabic to get accustomed to the flow of the language and to start to catch out some words or even whole sentences.
My resolution for August is: talk, talk, talk!

Deutsch
FSI Course - unit 1
Pimsleur course - unit 1
Hangout - practice
Hm, I think I won’t continue with German, at least not for now. I just needed a short break from other languages and I thought I’d give it a try. I didn’t enjoy it though.

Français
Hangouts - practice
“Język francuski dla zaawansowanych” (“French for advanced learners”) - lessons 1-6
I focused mainly on reading comprehension and speaking.

Hindi
Pimsleur course - units 1-11
As I needed a short break from other languages I returned to Hindi for a moment, the language I’ve already know a bit. It was like returning to an old friend. The things I learned before came back to me quickly. I’m not going to dedicate much time to Hindi this year but it’s still worth to maintain what I already acquired.

Italiano
Hangouts - practice
TV - Rai News 24 - watching
“Reading Better Italian” - next three chapters done - reading comprehension drills, enriching vocabulary

Português
Hangouts - practice
TV - watching (a little)
“Gramática activa¨ - units 23-31
“Conversas de manhã e de tarde” - I started to read a book written by Naguib Mahfouz, Egiptian writer, in Portuguese translation
It seems that step by step I’m becoming more fluent in Portuguese and I’m quite happy about that. When I started to learn it a few years ago I didn’t expect it would become one of my favorites.

Türkçe
FSI Course - units 17-22, audio review + written exercises
TV - TRT Türk - watching
No new material. As I’ve already mentioned I do all the exercises from the FSI course in the written form, so it takes much time. I only hope that I’ll benefit from it one day.
I also translated another short press article - it can be found here.

Although I don't register the time dedicated to English and Spanish, I think it's worth mentioning that I finished to read the novel of my favorite writer, V.S. Naipaul, in the Spanish translation, "Entre los creyentes". I wrote about my impressions in Spanish - you can read the post here

This text is also available in Polish

Share:

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment