Friday, February 18, 2011

English

Starting this blog in the beginning of 2011 I wasn't sure if it hasn't been just a whim which would vanish after a week, but I thought I'd try...

I will write mainly in three languages: Polish, English and Spanish. I decided not to create separate blogs. This means that some entries will have different versions, some will be only in Polish.

When I was a teenager I got addicted to foreign languages, I often read textbooks till dawn. It was so exciting to learn how others communicate, what subjunctive is, why "a girl" in German is neutral (namely: das Mädchen) and how is it possible that some people manage without a verb „to be” - at least in Present tense (e.g. Turkish or Arabic). Would have Shakespeare written „Hamlet” without „to be”?

My languages



    Arabic 
I like the sound of the Arabic spoken. I learn MSA and Egyptian dialect. I'm an absolute beginner. It's one of my priorities at present.

  • English 
My second language. At first it's very easy in comparison to Polish in terms of grammar, especially declensions and conjugations. Then you have to learn all those details and nuances. I managed to pass the Cambridge and LCCI (London Chamber of Commerce and Industry) exams what enriched one of my drawers with appropriate certificates.
  • French 
I flirted with French several times. I did a few lessons and then stopped. I returned to it in 2012. I'd say I'm at B2 level.
  • Hindi 
My first Asian language. I started to learn this beautiful language in 2010. Then I went to India for a holiday. I spent three weeks there. I'm at A2 level, I think. For the time being I have a break from it.
  • Italian 
I've learned it for several years. I think I'm at B2 level. I planned to take CELI exam this year but now I guess I will postpone it for 2014.
  • Polish
My mother tongue.
  • Portuguese 
I estimate I'm at B2, I want to move further. Some say that the Brazilian version sounds much nicer, but I prefer European version. My knowledge of Spanish is a big asset.
  • Russian 
It was obviously my first language. At the time when I went to school all Polish pupils had to learn it. I've learned it for 8 years. I even got good marks. But I acted according to the rule „learn, pass, forget”. Now I regret it a bit. I returned to Russian in 2011 and I must admit I quite liked it. Now again I have a break - I don't have so much time to divide it among so many languages.
  • Spanish 
My favorite. My knowledge is confirmed by DELE diploma issued by Spanish Ministry of Education. At the time I started to learn Spanish, in Poland there weren't many materials, there was no Internet (I know, it's hard to believe). To drill the patterns and vocabulary I bought Julio Iglesias' cassettes although I hated the way he sang. Thanks to him my vocabulary connected with love, hugs and farewells is extremely rich.
  • Swahili 
My ambition is to speak at least one language from all the continents. This is my first African language, not counting Arabic. I'm a beginner - this year I have a short break from it.
  • Turkish 
I spent a holiday in Turkey in 2008, and I fell in love with the country and people. I guess I'm at A2 level - this year it's my priority to move further.
  • Others 
I also learned a bit of Swedish, Croatian, Dutch, German, Esperanto, Hungarian, Koine Greek and Hebrew, but those were attempts deserted on a very early stage. Apart from that, I've studied Latin for four years in high school.
It may be worth noting here that I know a little Polish sign language (certified by the appropriate association).
Share: