Thursday, July 7, 2011

That’s What I Am

Yesterday in the evening I had nothing particular to do, so after an hour in the gym I took to watch a movie. It happened that I grabbed my hands on the newest production of Samuel Goldwyn Studio, “That’s What I Am”. I’ve seen no trailer, neither have I read I any article about it, but the name of Ed Harris encouraged me to watch this movie. I was not disappointed. One might say it’s not a great work. One might say it’s a bit naïve. Maybe. So what? But the topic is all in all one of the most important in our lives… Human dignity.
The story is told by 12-year-old Andy Nichol, a smart student, who, like most of his peers, will do anything to avoid conflict with his peers. Everyone’s favorite teacher, Mr. Simon pairs Andy with the school's biggest outcast and social pariah, Stanley (called Big G by all the world) on a final term project. Red hair, a big head and big ears have made him the object of ridicule to all the school. Before long, Andy will learn that Mr. Simon teamed these two up purposely. As the story unfolds, Mr. Simon becomes himself the target of a malicious rumor when Principal Kelner suspends a school bully for beating up one of the schoolgirls.

When Andy watches Big G fearlessly confront the school bully, a series of events are triggered, which change the lives of both young men, and their teacher. To Andy’s surprise (who is no longer Big G for him) is brilliant, kind, tolerant and a decent human being, who has more dignity than anyone Andy has ever encountered.

We often suffer for what we are or for what we believe. This movie shows that this suffering touches not only adults, but also children. And children are able to be cruel not less that adults.
The question is... is it worth it? Is this world still a place for decent people?

That's What I Am
Director: Michael Pavone 
Writer: Michael Pavone 
Starring: Ed Harris, Chase Ellison, Amy Madigan, Molly Parker 
USA 2011 
101 min 

Official site:

Here’s a trailer: 


Share:

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment