Saturday, February 19, 2011

India through the eyes of V.S. Naipaul

Since I learned the alphabet, I love to read. In my (not so long) life, I read thousands of books. Many of them stick to my mind, titles of others I don't even want to remember.
I'm sure I'll remember the title of the book that I'm reading now. Not just because it bears the simple title "India", but because many of the observations contained in this book, I understand better thanks to the fact that last year I spent my holiday in India. But this is a topic for another post. Today about the book...

V.S. Naipaul was born in 1932 in Trinidad, in the Indian family. He studied in England, where, after four years at Oxford, he began to write. He published over 25 books, received numerous awards, including Nobel Prize for Literature in 2001. He lives in England.
"India" is a collection of stories and reports written by Naipaul during his trip to India in 1990. The background is the modernization of the country and contrast with the traditional society. The confrontation between Muslims and Hindus, changing role of women, the continuation of old habits and dynamic cinematography, and the durability of the caste system is described here through personal stories.
(VS Naipaul, "India", the Spanish edition, Debolsillo, 2003, 736 p.; original title „India: A Million Mutinies Now”, published by Penguin in 1992)

Nobel Foundation Site of the writer:
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/2001
Share:

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment